In our last post, we covered some of the basics you should consider when tackling a home project like finishing your basement.
As we mentioned, there are plenty of updates to keep in mind when it comes to making sure your basement (and home in general) has all of the proper electrical wiring and outlets in order to cover all of your needs.
One such update has to do with your phone and data jacks. So, to get you better acquainted, here is a brief rundown on what you need to know about them. Take a look below:
- What’s the difference between a phone and data jack?
- Though they may look similar, phone and data jacks are actually different and mixing up the two can cause damage to your jacks, network device or phone. In short, phone jacks are used to plug in your phone chords, while data jacks are meant to plug in network devices such as video game consoles, computers, etc.
- In most cases, your outlet will have markings or color coding to ensure that a mix-up doesn’t happen, but it is always a good idea to double check with your electrician when the outlet is being installed.
- Why update your phone and data jacks?
- Depending on the age of your home, your phone and data jacks may not be up to speed for all of your technological needs—meaning you aren’t getting the most efficient use out of your lines. One such area where you might see this is with your home network, which will run a lot slower if things aren’t up to date, and this includes both phone and data jacks, as well as older wiring. So, if you have a pretty extensive home network, we’d suggest taking a look into when your jacks and were last installed and whether or not you need to get new ones.
As always, if you come across any questions, we here at Hiller Electric are happy to answer them–call us today at (402) 339-0524. Hiller Electric can also help you with your installation needs—no job is too big or too small, we guarantee quality service every time!