Residential | Common Electrical Mistakes



Mistakes happen, but that doesn’t mean they should happen to you.

Here at Hiller Electric, customer safety is one of our main concerns. Through our many years of experience, we’ve seen quite a few electrical fixes gone bad. Today, we’ll cover some of the most common electrical mistakes (and how you can avoid them).

Installing the wrong lightbulbs. Perhaps the lighting in the room isn’t right so you want things to be a little brighter. Before you go ahead and switch out that 60 watt for a 100 watt lightbulb, you’ll need to check if the socket can handle the jump.

Unfortunately, most people are unaware that their sockets have a recommended wattage and assume that if it fits, then it should work. However, this can cause damage to the socket or potentially start a fire. Both the bulb and your socket should be labeled with their max output, so take a careful look before you up your wattage!

Using the wrong fuse. Fuses can be tricky to install, and almost everyone has had a brand new fuse burn out on them. When installing your fuses, make sure you are installing the appropriate size. While a fuse that is too small won’t cause too much damage—more often than not, it will just burn out—a bigger fuse can end up causing you a lot of trouble.

Larger fuses allow more electricity to pass through the wiring. When installed improperly (i.e. where a smaller fuse should be) this can end up damaging your wiring or electrical appliances. As such, it is always important to make sure you use the right fuse. If the fuse keeps burning out, that may be a sign of a potentially bigger issue.

Overloading outlets. Overloading outlets is a very common electrical mistake that can have serious consequences. Sure, your power strip has 8 or so sockets, but that doesn’t mean you can go ahead and plug in anything you want, or even plug two power strips in the same outlet for that matter.

Just like the sockets for your light bulbs, power strips and outlets have a rating for how much power they can take. If you exceed that power, you run the risk of destroying that power strip, the outlet, or even worse, all of the electronics you have plugged into them.

Using cables/cords with exposed wiring. Although that little nick in your cord seems harmless, using any electrical appliance that has exposed wiring can be extremely dangerous. Avoid the risk of electric shock or fire by making sure that those exposed wires are covered properly, or simply throw them away and replace them with a new one.

If you have any questions about the info above, feel free to contact us. Call us today at (402) 339-0524. Hiller Electric can also help you with your installation needs—no job is too big or too small, we guarantee quality service every time!


photo credit: via photopin (license)