Now that we are well into the New Year, it’s time to get started on all those home-transformation projects you set as goals for 2015. One of the projects many homeowners undertake is finishing their home’s basement.
Technically, your home’s basement was built in order to elevate the structure of your home, as well as a storage space. However, a finished basement can provide much more. From a play area to home entertainment center to extra living space, a finished basement holds a lot of potential.
It is a good idea to start finishing a basement early in the year because it can be quite a big project. So, in order to make it a little less overwhelming, we want to outline the basics. Take a look below for some considerations when finishing a basement:
- Existing electrical panel: Does your current electrical panel have the capacity to add additional circuits?
- What will your space be used for?
- Rec room: Many recreational rooms consist of entertainment such as a pool, ping pong or foosball table. Make sure you consider overhead and spot lighting for those areas.
- Theater room: Where will the television or projection screen be located? Will you want a surround system, or any wall speakers? What about dimmers?
- Play area: If your finished basement will mainly be used by children, you’ll want to put some thought into flooring options like carpet, as well as the number of electrical outlets and switches. Also consider leaving a lot of open space for play.
- Food and drink area: Will there be a full kitchen or just a bar area? If you are putting in a full kitchen you will need to consider the placement of the refrigerator, sink, dishwasher, etc… And of course, you’ll want to think about the placement and number of lighting fixtures.
- Lighting: When it comes to lighting, there are a lot of options to consider: LED, dimmers, digital control system, accent lighting for artwork, stair lights, hanging lights for a pool table or bar area, etc… Lighting has the ability to change the entire space, so make sure you look into all your options.
- Adding electrical wiring: After you decide on lighting and any other systems that require electricity, your basement will need electrical wiring and outlets.
Before you call an electrician, it is a good idea to know exactly where and what systems you will be adding to your basement, that way the electrician can install the wiring and outlets in the most efficient locations possible. An electrician will also be able to connect your basement wiring to your home’s existing source of power.
Finishing your home’s basement is a hefty project, and hiring a professional can make it a lot easier. Of course, you will want to consider all that finishing a basement requires, and plan out the project first. If you come across any questions, we here at Hiller Electric are happy to answer them–call us today at (402) 339-0524. Hiller Electric can also help you with your installation needs—no job is too big or too small, we guarantee quality service every time!