When it comes to home safety, making sure you have quality smoke alarms is key. A smoke alarm will alert you of a fire in your home at any time—even if you and your family are sleeping. All smoke alarms should be properly installed and maintained, and your family should do monthly checks to make sure they are all working properly.
There are two different types of smoke alarms: battery and hard-wired. At Hiller-Electric, we recommend purchasing hard-wired smoke alarms. Here are a few reasons why:
- A hard-wired alarm is more dependable. Hard-wired smoke alarms don’t operate on a battery unless there is a power outage (they still require a battery, however). Obviously, this is different than battery-powered smoke alarms which are fully dependent on batteries. If a smoke alarm runs out of power in your home, you may not be aware of it for a while, which puts you and your family at risk.
- Also, when sounding an alarm, a battery-powered smoke alarm will eventually quit making a noise—depending on how much power it had left. A hard-wired smoke alarm will not stop sounding the alarm until it is manually turned off.
- Hard-wired smoke alarms are linked together electrically, so if one goes off, every single smoke alarm in the house will start to sound an alarm. No matter where you are in your home, you will be aware that there is a fire.
- Many hard-wired smoke alarms also have a battery. Just in case your home loses power, the smoke alarms will still work.
- Hard-wired smoke alarms also need maintenance less often than batter-powered alarms.
- Combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors keep your home safer. Many hard-wired smoke alarms are smoke/CO combination detectors, and we recommend having one on each level. These combination detectors add an additional level of safety to your home.
If you are renovating and need to install new smoke alarms, or realize that your home only has battery-powered alarms and would like to make the switch to hard-wired, call Hiller Electric at (402) 339-0524! We would be happy to help make your home safer.