Here at Hiller Electric, energy efficiency is a pretty big deal. When working with our customers, we do all that we can to ensure that they are getting the most use out of their energy plan, in turn saving them the money they need.
But not only is an energy-efficient home or commercial space great for your bank account, it is also vital to the environment that we live in. So, today we are going to go over some of the ways you can make the electricity plan for your home or commercial space as green as possible.
It’s always good to start with the small fixes before trying to tackle the big projects. Here are just a few tips to help you get started on making your home a little greener:
- Switch out those incandescent light bulbs. For as small as they are, incandescent bulbs are major energy suckers, and because they are installed throughout the home, they make a much bigger impact on your energy bill than you would think. You can combat this by finding much more energy efficient bulbs such as LEDs, which will not only help you save money on your next energy bill but also last longer, meaning you are throwing less and less products away – a definite plus for the environment.
- Check your phantom loads. Many of your home’s devices still consume electricity when turned off but still plugged into an outlet. You can reduce your electricity bill by monitoring both small appliances and other electrical devices.
- Small appliances. Even the smaller electric appliances can use up quite a bit of energy when they aren’t turned on but remain plugged in. Items like your toaster, coffee maker, coffee grinder, blender, etc., use up energy as they sit idle in your kitchen. Avoid this by unplugging them when they are not in use.
- Non-appliances. It’s not just appliances that use electricity when not turned on—Any device that plugs into an outlet will also use energy. Unplug your chargers, speakers, curling irons, and such, when they are not in use.
- Use a power strip. A lot of your household appliances and devices are made to run all the time. This uses up a lot of energy. By using a power strip, you can centralize where all the power comes from—This will make it easy to shut on/off power to certain appliances when they aren’t in use.
Sure, all of this may seem like small, time consuming behaviors, but the benefits in return are substantial. Not only does it save you a great deal of money in the long run, but you will also be contributing to the well being of your environment.
If you have any questions or would like some help on how to get started with making your electricity plan green, feel free to contact us today at (402) 339-0524. Hiller Electric can also help you with your installation needs—no job is too big or too small, we guarantee quality service every time!