Hiller Know-How: Electrical and CSST Gas Grounding



Here at Hiller Electric, our customer’s safety is a top priority. Part of maintaining a safe home is making sure your family is not susceptible to any electrical shocks from appliances or power tools. You can prevent this by making sure all your electrical wiring is properly grounded.

Electrical grounding connects your home’s electrical wiring to the ground by a wire or a conductor. The purpose is to reduce the risk of electric shock. If electrical equipment or wiring is not grounded and a current leaks, it’s possible for the electrical current to connect to a metal appliance or device and transfer a harmful (even deadly) electrical shock. Grounding helps prevent fault currents or short circuits from becoming hazardous.

While your home’s fuse box/circuit breaker protects you from major fault currents, contact with even minor currents can cause serious harm and even death. Grounding your electrical wiring is the surest way to protect your home from all short circuits.

So how does grounding work? Your home’s electrical system has many wires to carry the electrical currents to different areas and appliances. Among these wires is a ground wire, which is an additional pathway for the electrical current that isn’t used. If a short circuit occurs, the ground wire carries the current safely to the ground. When there is no ground wire and a short circuit occurs, the only other path to the ground is the person using the appliance, and this can result in shock or electrocution. The grounding wires are either bare copper or have green insulation. Copper wire is preferred because it is a conductive metal, and it’s also very long-lasting.

A metal rod should also ground the ground wires home’s entire electrical system. The ground rod then protects anyone who may be on the ground when a ground wire transfers a short circuit or fault current to the ground.

And don’t forget about your home’s water lines! Your home’s water lines must also be grounded in order to prevent any fault currents from traveling through the water pipes and delivering a shock to anyone using a shower or sink.

Just as important as the water pipes is your home’s gas piping. Your home gets its natural gas and propane from a stainless steel pipe, or CSST. It is important to make sure your CSST is grounded in order to prevent electric shock to anyone who comes into contact with the gas piping. The grounding of your gas pipe will reduce the risk of fire caused by a lightning strike.

If you are not sure if your electrical wiring is completely grounded, or want an inspection to make sure it is all still working properly, don’t hesitate to call Hiller Electric today at 402-339-0524.


photo credit: TaranRampersad via photopin cc